SHE++ AMBASSADORS WORK IN CITIES AROUND THE WORLD TO ENGAGE COMMUNITIES IN A VARIETY OF TECH ISSUES, INCLUDING DIVERSITY AND ACCESSIBILITY.
The she++ Ambassadors Program aims to foster communities that promote access to and diversity in technology on a global scale. Through the events and programming spearheaded by she++ Ambassadors, we are able to extend she++’s reach to other colleges, universities and communities. We aim to cultivate conversations that emphasize the importance of a developer demographic that mirrors the demographic of technology consumers. Furthermore, we desire to highlight the myriad applications of computer science--from art to biology to finance--and stress the fact that an interest in computer science does not commit one to any particular industry.
The she++ Ambassadors Program provides resources and advising to college students interested in increasing the accessibility of computer science in their own communities. Our ambassadors are committed to increasing diversity, inclusiveness and excitement in and for careers in technology.
At the conclusion of the program in Spring 2017, the she++ Ambassadors will be invited to the she++ Summit, an all-expenses-paid 3-day trip to the Bay Area. During the Summit, the Ambassadors will have the opportunity to tour tech companies, meet influential technologists, and glean ideas and inspiration to take back to their own communities.
For the duration of one (1) academic year, she++ Ambassadors will work to increase and celebrate diversity in technical fields by organizing three (3) main events in their community. Ambassadors will uphold communication with the she++ Ambassador Core Team for continual support and feedback throughout the program, which may consist of video conferencing and/or email correspondence. As an extension of the she++ brand, Ambassadors will have access to a variety of resources to augment their programming; this may include financial support, industry connections and event planning guidance.
she++ Ambassadors will play a direct role in developing content and experiences in line with (but not restricted to) the following goals:
- Facilitate mentorship at their college/university to share experiences in tech between newcomers and veterans.
- Find creative ways to showcase computer science applied to nontraditional “techy” fields, (such as biocomputation, design, etc) to emphasize the flexibility of computer science, and draw interested students from a wide array of backgrounds and fields of study.
- Reach out to and draw on the knowledge of role models in tech (specifically, leaders from industry and academia)
- Introduce computer science to individuals who have had little exposure to the field (such as undecided students or incoming freshmen with no computer science knowledge/experience) in a relatable and exciting way.
- Inform potential computer science students of exciting opportunities available to them (such as internships, programs, job fairs, conferences, etc)
- August 3, 2016 - she++ Ambassadors application opens
- September 15, 2016 - she++ Ambassadors application closes
- September 30, 2016 - Selected Ambassadors notified
- Spring 2017 - she++ Summit
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the she++ Ambassadors Program:
- Currently enrolled in a college or university
- 18+ years of age
If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know by emailing the she++ Ambassadors Program Director, Nathalia Scrimshaw, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE IN THE SHE++ AMBASSADORS PROGRAM?
Any college student 18 years or older, regardless of gender or nationality, may apply online to be a she++ Ambassador.
IF I DO NOT LIVE IN THE US, CAN I STILL APPLY TO BE A SHE++ AMBASSADOR?
Yes! We highly encourage international applications.
ARE THERE ANY GENDER REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE SHE++ AMBASSADORS PROGRAM?
No! Anyone who meets the eligibility requirements listed above may apply to be a she++ Ambassador.
WHAT SORT OF EVENTS DO SHE++ AMBASSADORS ORGANIZE?
For the duration of one (1) academic year, she++ Ambassadors will work to increase and celebrate diversity in technical fields by organizing three (3) main events in their community. One of these events will be a she++ mini-Gala, a community wide event in Spring 2017 to celebrate diversity in tech. The other two events are up to each Ambassador; some ideas include speaker dinners, technical workshop series, hackathons, career days, she++ documentary screenings and discussions, education outings, community mixers, etc.
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
- Apply to be a she++ Ambassador by September 15, 2016. Applications will be available on the she++ website starting August 3.
- Selection decisions emailed out by September 30, 2016.
- If you are selected to be a she++ Ambassador, we will set up a call with you shortly afterwards to welcome you to the program and get you set up with all of our program resources.
- If you are not selected, we still encourage you to keep in touch and stay involved with she++ through our #include College Advisors program, our social media campaigns, our events across the country, and more!
WHAT IS THE SHE++ SUMMIT?
The she++ Summit is a 3-day event held in Spring 2017 in Silicon Valley, where she++ Ambassadors will have the opportunity to meet industry professionals, tour some of the world’s top tech companies, attend workshops, and gain inspiration to take back and share with their communities.
WHO ATTENDS THE SHE++ SUMMIT?
Only she++ Ambassadors and #include fellows may attend the she++ Summit. she++ Ambassadors must showcase satisfactory progress in the program in order to be invited.
DO I HAVE TO HAVE PREVIOUS TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE TO PARTICIPATE?
We are looking for students with an interest in technology, a grasp of basic technical concepts, and an in-depth understanding of the technical needs of their community. That being said, you do not need to be majoring in or working in a technical field to apply to the she++ Ambassadors Program. Our goal is to get more students involved in technology, and for you to inspire others to do so as well.
WHO WERE LAST YEAR’S SHE++ AMBASSADORS?
Check out last year’s she++ Ambassadors below!
I HAVE A GREAT IDEA FOR THE SHE++ AMBASSADORS PROGRAM/SUMMIT…
Awesome! We’d love to hear from you. Please send any ideas, questions, or concerns you might have to she++ Ambassadors Program Director, Nathalia Scrimshaw (email@example.com).